Monday, September 29, 2008

Perhaps our government is working exactly as it's supposed to

Today the House rejected a $700 billion bailout. 40% of Democrats and 67% of Republicans rejected it. And the argument has become a complex version of more vs. less regulation.

I'm no economist. I'm a theologian. As I've said below, I am highly skeptical of any measure which affords more power to our government. Why? 

One simple question: If this financial crisis is the result of too little regulation, why is it the most regulated institutions/banks who failed? Regulation does not work. The government is great at usurping power and horrible at getting anything done.

Perhaps our government is working exactly as it's supposed to in this financial crisis.  

1 comment:

CMinor said...

Your "simple question" is very well put. It'll be interesting to see how things shake out.

I came over from the IC's blog to have a look at your dialog with "Dr. Tulio." It looks like you've got a few days' worth of reading material there, so I'll be checking in as time allows!

Thanks for posting these discussions--one doesn't often see economic matters thoughtfully analyzed from the Catholic perspective.