Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Main Street President?

Why would anyone would want a candidate for President of the United States of America to be from main street, every town America? The implication is that we want a "normal" president, someone whose "one of the guys." Really? Why not someone extraordinary? They may be from small town America, but they better be exceptional. We ought to want extraordinary.

Why do we insist on playing games? We insist on leaders who have show their capacity to rise to national presence above the rest, yet when they get there, they are supposed to show us how "normal" they are? If that was a pre-requisite  for past presidents would would never have had most of the great ones. 

What I want from my President is a person who understands human dignity and does everything in their power to uphold everyone's human dignity, from conception through death.

I want a candidate who understands that the best way to lift people out of poverty is to create a strong economy and get out of the way so that people can strive to become wealthy.

I want a candidate who understands that working multiple jobs year in and year out to send kids through college so they can have a better life is a beautiful thing, and to use such a story as the reason for the State to provide educational funding undermines the dignity of everyone involved.

I want a President who understands we are at war and the cost to human dignity on a global scale of loosing is greater than the cost of succeeding (there are no winners in war, only victors).

This election I will be voting one issue, and one issue only: Who has the strongest capacity to uphold human dignity. That single issue encompasses everything I need to know. Based on what I've seen so far, I want another candidate.

Want to learn more on the dignity of the human person? Here's a paper I've written, and here is a link to the Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church.

Blessings,
Patrick

No comments: