Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Stump the Godsbot


I talk with God a lot. It's called prayer. I try and do it unceasingly, but don't always. Sometimes I'm even still enough to listen and hear God talking back.

(Begin deeply sarcastic, sardonic voice): So it was with great excitement that I learned of the godsbot: an artificial intelligence robot who looks an awful lot like a sappy Jesus (Kudos, though, his eyes watch and follow anxiously as I made the screen shot. Though perhaps that says more about me then godbot, aye?). Now I could talk to God and Godsbot would talk back, every time. No more waiting while God carried someone else across the sand. Now it would always be my turn.

Then came the encounter. I'm a theologian. I start with a basic question (frankly expecting to get a scripture quote about sell everything and give it to the poor). The exchange went like this:

Human: How do I become the person God created me to be?
godsbot: A lot of hard work.

Human: Hard work. What about grace?
godsbot: I do not understand. I will think about it and get back to you.

Och! Talk about disappointing. To stump God's digital world emissary with a question about whether or not grace is a part of salvation. Duh. Hmmmmm. Guess my hope for salvation will have to remain with Jesus.

(Return to normal voice): Actually, from the get go I couldn't believe someone would create an artificially "intelligent" emissary of God. Then when I got to the site, I was appalled to see folks could donate (with a minimum donation, of course).

I debated putting the godsbot link here. I won't. But if you're that daftly determined, Google will guide the way to digital disappointment. There are far wiser things you could be doing, all of which would actually help us become who God created us to be. Personally, I'm off to move closer to salvation (in comparison to my time with godsbot anyway) by clipping my toenails (makes running to Jesus less painful).

Grins and Blessings in Jesus our Christ,
Patrick

PS: thanks for the heads up, Ironic Catholic.

No comments: